Sunday, December 9, 2012

El Paso, TX


"That's just a piece of dirt.” That is what I hear a Texan say once about El Paso, and I believed him.  I could not help but think about those dusty, small cowboy towns you see in movies…  I have to tell you my friends, there is some truth to that, but this place has much more to offer.  Here are some things that caught my attention during my second visit to the city:

1.        The Río Grande is not so grande.  (big)

2.       Standing on what is today the University of Texas at El Paso, I can see the city of Juárez, Mx.  I feel I am almost there, literally.  I could see a message about the Bible, which is carved on the mountain side.  I could also follow a soccer match happening on a paved basketball court by the border.

3.       The US Government did build a fence….  

4.       The first Spanish Mission built in Texas is still here, and people still go to mass there!  (More about it on future post).



5.       During the 50’s someone thought it would be pretty cool to bring real crocodiles to the plaza in El Paso’s downtown, so they DID!  For obvious safety reasons, the crocs are gone.  There is a huge statue of them instead.


Have you been to El Paso?  What did you think of the city?

1 comments:

Nikola said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hello Natalia and Jose. I'm Nikolai.

I would like to publish a guest post (with one link) on your great blog - jherreranvargas.blogspot.com. Could you please give me the price for the placement of it?

Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

Have a nice day.

Post a Comment